Social gambling

Card and Parlor Games

Gambling is not legal in a licensed beer or liquor establishment unless the establishment holds a social gambling license. A social gambling license permits patrons of a beer or liquor establishment to play card and parlor games for money. A social gambling license does not authorize raffles, bingo or any other form of gambling not specifically permitted. A social gambling license is a two-year license and costs $150.00. Licensees must prominently display the gambling license on the premises where the gambling is taking place. Licensees may not charge a general admission fee or a cover charge at any time social gambling is allowed. Licensees (including their employees and agents) may not promote, sponsor, conduct or act as a banker or cashier for social gambling. Bookmaking is illegal.

Participants must be at least 21 years old. A participant cannot win or lose more than $50 during any 24-hour period. It is the licensee’s responsibility to make sure these rules are enforced.

Games Permitted with a Social Gambling License:

  • Backgammon, Bridge, Checkers, Chess, Cribbage, Darts, Dominoes, Euchre, Gin Rummy, Hearts, Pinochle, Pitch, Poker and pool table games.

Games Specifically Prohibited by Law:

  • Baccarat, Blackjack, Chemin de fer, Chuck-a-Luck, Craps, Equality, Faro, Klondike, Pull-tab, Punchboard, Push card, Roulette, Slot Machines and Three-Card Monte and Dice games (unless the dice are part of a board game such as Monopoly).

Bona Fide Games

Bona fide contests may be conducted at a beer or liquor establishment and do not require a social gambling license. A bona fide contest is one where a prize is awarded to the person(s) winning the contest, participation fees may be charged, no gambling can occur during the contest, and the contest must be conducted in a fair and honest manner. Contests, leagues or tournaments that are legal include: athletic or sporting contests, leagues or tournaments; rodeos; horseshoes; golf, bowling; trap or skeet shoots; fly casting; tractor pulling; rifle; pistol; musket; muzzle-loader; archery; horse races and harness races; ski racing; airplane racing; snowmobile racing; raft racing; boat racing; bicycle racing; motor vehicle racing; contest or exhibitions or cooking; horticulture; livestock; poultry; fish or other animals; artwork; hobby work or craftwork; cribbage; bridge; chess; checkers; dominoes; pinochle; and on-line video golf with a trackball assembly.

If a contest, league or tournament is not on this list, it is not a legal bona fide contest with or without a gambling license.

Sports Pools

A social gambling license also allows licensees to conduct sports pools in the licensed establishment. A sports pool is a game in which the participants select a square on a numbered grid. Winners are determined when the selected square corresponds to a number relating to the outcome of an athletic event. Rules of the pool, including the cost per participant and the amount of the winning must be publicly displayed. Participants must be at least 21 and no participant may wager more than $5. Total winnings of each pool may not exceed $500 and all monies wagered must be awarded to participants.

Printed from the website on March 18, 2018 at 1:16am.